Nov 6, 2006

Rear Fender

My goal here was to create a rear fender that looked like the rear end and roof of an early 1930's Coupe. I started out with an old $30 Harley Fender from a salvage yard. I cut a strip out of the center to narrow it to fit my tire better. I also cut some out of the bottom radiuses to match the lines of the tire and wheel. Then I frenched in the half shape tail lights for a custom fit using led lights.

The hard part was dealing with a soft tail/swing arm suspension. I wanted my fender to have the rigid hard tail look which is sleek, low profile and close to the tire as opposed to sticking way up in the air with space between the fender and tire like a typical soft tail. With a swing arm you generally have to mount the fender high otherwise it will rub the tire when the suspension compresses because it is mounted to the frame. So I mounted my fender directly to the swingarm so it moves up and down in unison with the swingarm and tire/wheel assembly, without rubbing the frame. Hopefully I pulled off the look! I think it will show better after paint






















































0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home